Study4u - PL Study4u - EN

Find Perfect plase to study

of EU universities


of EU universities


in the application



Found UniversitiesPublic Universities

Faculty of Humanities, University of Primorska, Slovenia

Country: Slovenia

City: Koper


Type of school: Public Universities


Search for other universities in: Koper


The Faculty of Humanities  (FHS) was established as an independent institution of higher education in Koper on 19th July 2000, becoming an affiliate of the University of Primorska in 2003.

The Faculty of Humanities at the University of Primorska offers both undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses as well as engaging in scientific and specialist activities in the field of humanities, arts and social studies. To assure the highest quality in its operations in all these fields the Faculty promotes the following core values:

  • excellence of study programmes
  • continuous development of infrastructure and equipment
  • highly qualified and experienced staff working in a harmonious professional environment
  • enhanced attention to the well-being of students, creating better employment opportunities
  • highly efficient support network both within the University of Primorska, and the wider academic field in Slovenia as well as internationally

The Faculty of Humanities has gained recognition for its great dynamism due to its progressive orientation, its creativity and capacity for critical thinking, as well as to the collaboration of its dedicated teaching staff together with students in an atmosphere of mutual support.


The Faculty enjoys the advantage of being situated in the coastal area bordering on Italy and Croatia, providing the potential for drawing on positive cultural and economic influences. Insights and skills acquired in the course of study introduce students to the secrets of Istria, Slovenia and the Mediterranean, guiding them to understand various trends within a wider European and international setting.

The Faculty is keen to offer courses with a difference:

  • seminars with a lower student teacher ratio
  • a more friendly, individualised attitude to students
  • more international study and exchange opportunities (e.g. by inviting visiting professors and attracting international students)
  • intercultural collaboration within exchange opportunities within the EU member states (e.g. Socrates / Erasmus Programmes, Mobility Programmes)
  • interdisciplinary study programmes, offering a wide range of subject choices
  • courses built on individual research within seminars and project work
  • study courses focusing on the Mediterranean basin as a specific natural and cultural environment
  • study courses centred on Slovene, European and international topics.


First Cycle Study Programmes

  • Cultural Heritage, academic/3Y
  • Geography, academic/3Y
  • Italian Studies, academic/4Y
  • Media Studies, academic/3Y
  • Intercultural Linguistic Mediation, academic/3Y
  • Slovene Studies, academic/3Y
  • Joint Honours Bachelor of Arts Degree in History,academic/3Y
  • Joint Honours Bachelor of Arts Degree in Geography, academic/3Y
  • History, academic/3Y
  • Joint Honours Bachelor of Arts Degree in Anthropology, academic/3Y
  • Joint Honours Bachelor of Arts Degree in Archaeology, academic/3Y


Second Cycle Study Programmes

  • Mediterranean Archaelogical Heritage,masters'/2Y
  • Geography, masters'/2Y
  • Cultural Studies and Anthropology, masters'/2Y
  • Communication and the Media, masters'/2Y
  • Joint Honours Master of Arts Degree in History and Education Studies, masters'/2Y
  • Italian and Education Studies, masters'/2Y
  • Joint Honours Master of Arts Degree in Geography and Education Studies , masters'/2Y
  • Italian Studies, masters'/1Y
  • Slovene and Education Studies, masters'/2Y
  • History, masters'/2Y
  • Linguistic Mediation and Translation, master's/2Y

Third Cycle Study Programmes

  • Philosophy and Theory of Visual Culture,doctoral/3Y
  • Geography, doctoral/3Y
  • Slovene Studies, doctoral/3Y
  • Diversity Management, doctoral/3Y
  • History of Europe and Mediterranean,doctoral/3Y
  • Anthropology, doctoral/3Y
  • Archaeology, doctoral/3Y


International Cooperation

By following the directives of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) and the European Research Area (ERA), one of the objectives of the University of Primorska is to become a modern university open to cooperation with other similar institutions.

Therefore, the Faculty of Humanities Koper promotes collaboration with educational and research institutions with the purpose of offering undergraduate and postgraduate students the opportunities to study abroad and to participate in a variety of Summer Courses, conferences, seminars and workshops. Furthermore, this cooperation gives teachers and other staff the opportunity to take part in study visits or various international research programmes and development projects.

We are aware that international cooperation plays an important role within tertiary education, for with the aim of raising academic standards, it stimulates collaboration in the field of scientific research as well as the development of new study programmes and teaching methods. Frequent stays of renowned visiting professors and researchers have become a well-established characteristic of the Faculty, along with regular student exchanges and work experience trips abroad organised within the LLP Erasmus Programme.

Barbara Panger Jevtič, international cooperation>

Valentina Bertok, Erasmus


Presentation video

Koper and Slovenia

Slovenia borders Italy, Austria, Hungary and Croatia with a surface area of just over 20,000 sq km and about two million inhabitants. Since 1 May 2004, it has been a member of the European Union. It has excellent geographical position, in the very heart of Europe, where the Alps meet the Mediterranean and where the limestone Karst extends to the Pannonian lowlands. For more info about Slovenia visit

The city of Koper is lying on the Istrian peninsula in the South-West Slovenia on the Adriatic coast, only 20 km South of Trieste, Italy and about 30 km North of Croatian border. Besides Koper, there are other three important towns along the Slovenian coast, Izola, Piran and Portorož.


Entry into the Republic of Slovenia

The ways and conditions of entry into the Republic of Slovenia (RS) differ with regard to whether you are a citizen of a member state of the European Economic Area (EEA; EEA member states are the European Union's member countries, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) or Switzerland or a third-country national (all other states).


EEA citizens and Swiss nationals

A national of another EEA Member State or Switzerland may enter the RS with a valid personal identity card or passport, and does not require an entry permit (visa) or residence permit, regardless of the purpose of entering and residing in the RS (including entry for employment, study, self-employment or residence purposes).


Residence registration certificate

You may stay in the RS without residence registration for the first three months after entry, while for a longer stay you are required to register your stay, i.e. apply for the issue of a residence registration certificate at the administrative unit in the area of your residence prior to the expiry of your permitted three-month stay. You can of course apply for a residence registration certificate immediately upon entering the RS.

In case the purpose or the reason of the stay is studies or other forms of education, the conditions for obtaining a residence registration certificate are:

  • a valid identity card or a valid passport and proof of,
  • admission to a university or another educational institution,
  • sufficient means of subsistence (A statement provided by the student is satisfactory),
  • adequate health insurance.

Until you obtain a residence registration certificate you must fulfil the obligation of registration with the police defined by the Residence Registration Act. If you are not accommodated in a tourist or other accommodation facility or a guesthouse, you need to register with the competent police station in person within 3 days after crossing the state border and after changing the location of accommodation. If you are accommodated in a tourist facility or a guesthouse, the operator needs to register you with the competent police station within 12 hours of your check-in. However, if you stay in an accommodation facility, your landlord is obliged to register you with the competent police station within 3 days of your check-in.


Third-country nationals

A national of a third country who wishes to enter and reside in the RS for the purposes of a tourist, business, personal or other type of visit should obtain a visa at a diplomatic mission or consular post of the RS prior to his/her entering the country.

A third-country national who is a national of a country which does not require a visa to enter the RS may enter the RS and stay in it for a definite period of time (up to three months within a period of six months, counting from the date of first entry) for one of the above-listed purposes with a valid passport.


Temporary residence permit

If you wish to enter and stay in the RS for purposes other than those permitted on the basis of your visa, you are required to be in possession of a residence permit issued in the RS, which must be obtained before entry into the RS.

A first permit for temporary residence in the RS may only be issued as a temporary residence permit. The application for the granting of the first temporary residence permit must be submitted at a diplomatic mission or consulate of the RS abroad, which shall then refer it to a competent administrative unit in the RS for consideration. In the event that all the conditions are fulfilled, the administrative unit shall issue a permit and send it to a diplomatic mission or consulate of the RS abroad, where it shall then be served to you. The first temporary residence permit must be obtained prior to entry into the RS, apart from the exceptions stipulated by law, among which:

  • researchers, college/university teachers or college/university associates with a residence permit as a researcher, a college/university teacher or a college/university associate issued in another EU member state;
  • foreign students who have resided in another EU member state on the basis of a temporary residence permit for studying purposes.

For the issue of the first temporary residence permit you are required to possess the following:

  • a valid passport (the expiry date of which exceeds the intended period of stay in the RS by at least three months);
  • health insurance covering urgent health care services in the RS as a minimum requirement;
  • sufficient means of subsistence in a monthly amount at least equal to the basic minimal income in the RS;
  • a police clearance certificate of not older than three months from your country (if the country in question issues it), translated into Slovenian, and verified;
  • an authentic photograph of yourself, and you are also required to submit two of your fingerprints at a diplomatic mission or consulate of the RS abroad for their digital capture.


Aside from these basic conditions, you are also required to fulfill other conditions depending on the purpose of your stay in the RS.

Registration of temporary residence

You are required to register your temporary residence at an administrative unit within three days of settling or being served a temporary residence permit. If you settle in an accommodation facility, your temporary residence must be registered by the proprietor. When registering your residence, you are required to attach a valid personal identity document containing a photograph and evidence that you have the right to stay at the address you are registering. Proof of ownership, a rental or an under lease agreement or the written consent of the owner or co-owners of a dwelling or the manager of an accommodation facility where the owner's consent need not be verified are deemed as evidence.

The registration of a temporary residence is valid for no longer than one year. The registration of a temporary residence must be renewed by either you or your landlord within eight days from the expiry of registration.

For relevant information please check also the website of the Slovenian Ministry of the Interior: and


Slovenian Embassies and Consulates Abroad

Slovenia has embassies and consulates in many countries around the world where one can obtain general information about Slovenia and, when necessary, apply for a Temporary Residence Permit.

A large number of countries have embassies and consulates in Slovenia to assist their citizens visiting our country.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Slovenia
Prešernova cesta 25
SI-1001 Ljubljana
Tel.: +386 (1) 478 2000
Fax: +386 (1) 478 2340

Consular services
Šubičeva 10
SI-1001 Ljubljana
T: + 386 1 478 2305
F: +386 1 478 2316


Health Care

The citizens of EU Member States can come to Slovenia with the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This card can also be obtained by the citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. EHIC ensures the same access to public health services, i.e. to doctors and pharmacies, as to Slovenian citizens. If you have to pay for health services in Slovenia, you will be reimbursed immediately when you return home. The card covers all necessary medical care to allow you to continue your stay in Slovenia. The card does not cover the medical services of private providers.

For citizens of other countries, before arriving in Slovenia it is best to take out international travel insurance, including health insurance. General travel insurance is also recommended for citizens of the abovementioned countries.

Further information shall be obtained from the health authorities in home country and the Zavod za zdravstveno zavarovanje Slovenije (Slovenian Health Insurance Institute) as well.



Department for Education and International Cooperation of the University of Primorska will help with the accommodation placement to all of the exchange students who will present the Housing Request Form (please see the ON-LINE Application procedure). The information about the accommodation will be provided one month prior the beginning of each semester.
Students will be placed in Student Residence and private apartments according to the available vacancies. There are two student dormitories located in the city centre of Koper, namely the Dijaški dom Koper and the Študentski dom Koper. There is also another student dormitory in Portorož (about 20 km from Koper) for those studying at the Faculty of Tourism Studies – Turistica in Portorož.Students can also live in private apartments where the prices for beds vary from €180 to €230 per month (including living expenses like electricity, water etc.).

Students should be aware that in our region there is a lack of low price student accommodation facilities and we can’t guarantee in which type of accommodation facility the student will be placed.


Student Association and Erasmus Student Network

There is a well organized student association called ŠOUP (Študentska Organizacija Univerze na Primorskem) at the University of Primorska. ŠOUP takes care of students’ social life, as it organises cultural events and various sports activities. In the framework of ŠOUP there is also organised the ESN (Erasmus Students Network) which takes care of incoming students and helps them to integrate into a new environment. For more details visit



ENROLMENT - Application procedure and documentation

The international students who would like to study at the Faculty of Humanistic for one or more semesters should follow the application procedure described below. All the documentation must be fully filled in electronically, printed and signed.

The deadline for Winter semester is 15.6.

The deadline for Summer semester is 15.11.

1) To be sent before the deadlines at Faculty of Humanities:

  • Application form
  • Learning agreement
  • Copy of personal document (ID or passport - where is written the place of birth)
  • 1 original photo (dimension 3, 5 cm wide and 4, 5 cm high)

Information to help you fulfil the documents:

Application documents must be sent to:

UP Faculty of Humanities
Titov trg 5
6000 Koper, Slovenija
Ms. Valentina Bertok

And by email to:


For the courses you can check on Faculty of Humanities web site under International students in the English version of the site.


2) To be sent before the deadlines to the Erasmus coordinator:


University of Primorska

Titov trg 4

SI - 6000 Koper

Att: Mrs. Petra Zidar

Both in word file and one scanned photograph (passport format) saved as. jpg file also by e-mail to

In case you need to apply for visa/temporary residence permit in order to entry in the Republic of Slovenia, you are kindly requested to submit with application form also the following statement.  Based on the information provided in the statement, University of Primorska will issue Letter of Acceptance relevant for obtaining visa/temporary residence permit.    


Faculty of humanities

Titov trg 5, 6000 Koper
Dean:Assoc. Prof. Irena Lazar, Phd.
Telephone:+386 5 663 77 40
Fax:+386 5 663 77 42

comments powered by Disqus is the largest web portal in Poland that will help you choose the best higher-education school for you. Not like many others, we will also help you during the application process to your dream school.

You have a dilemma what type of studies to choose? Full-time or part-time? Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree? Private or public university? Browse through our list of universities or use our convenient search engine which will certainly ease your choice of studies in Poland or in Europe. You are planning to continue your education on a higher level and you would like to get some more information about faculties and courses offered by universities? Find all the answers on our web portal and pick your ideal place for studying!

Contact is a part of:
Axel Media
ul. Duża 20
25-304 Kielce Poland

  +48 41 343 12 07
  +48 41 343 12 07
  +48 505 548 824